Owning a gun has become a necessity for people living in communities where theft and burglary is constantly on the rise. While hand guns can easily save you and your family from armed robbery or burglary attacks, it can equally be hazardous especially when it is kept carelessly. Handguns unlike other casual tools are not to be kept under your mattress, or in your wardrobe. Not even in your drawer because anyone can easily have access to these places. Some people feel their handgun is secure locked in their drawers. They may be right as a locked drawer provides adequate protection from members of the family; but how about burglars?
In order to give your gun the best protection from both family members and burglars, you should look towards purchasing a pistol safe. There are various models in the market which offers optimum protection at affordable prices. They are designed in such a way that breaking in is very difficult. We selected three of the best handgun safes on the market today. They have all the features required to protect your firearm from theft, while at the same time giving you instant access to it. Take your time to browse through our best handgun safe reviews in order to make an appropriate choice.
SentrySafe Biometric Quick Access Pistol SafeThe Sentry Safe Biometric Quick Access Pistol Safe just as its name implies is designed to store one pistol. Unlike other safes that take a few seconds to open, this single handgun safe is designed to flip open very quickly and silently granting you immediate access to your weapon. Sturdily constructed with varieties of features, it can be a herculean task attempting to pry it open. Below are some of these features:
- The interior of this little equipment has dimensions of 2.2 x 9.7 x 6.6 inches which is large enough to contain most handheld guns in the market. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do a simple measurement of your gun before purchasing the safe as some pistols have cylinder diameter which exceeds 2.2 inches.
- Built to be rock hard, the body of the safe is designed with 12 gauge steel thereby making it almost impossible to break open if stolen. The lid is also made to lap perfectly with the body of the safe because little gaps would make forced entry possible.
- With the strength of steel used in this equipment’s construction, one would instantly adjudge it to be very heavy but on the contrary, it is designed to be lightweight. With a height of 3.2 inches and a length of 12 inches, it is possible to disguise it among other documents of same size concealing it from unauthorized hands.
- Its biometric security system is simply awesome. It can easily be programmed, and also easily grants you access to your pistol whenever you need it. To program it, simply place your finger on the scanner and watch out for the green flash. After the flash, change the angle of your finger and follow the process until the scan is complete. Once your fingerprint is saved, opening the machine using it is simply a breeze. In no particular orientation, you can place your finger and the handgun safe will prop open. This comes in very handy in tense atmosphere where there is no time to place ones finger in one particular orientation.
- Aside from the main entry into the safe, it is designed with a backdoor entry. This serves as an option in situations where there are challenges with the main entry. A common challenge is with the 4 AA batteries which powers the fingerprint scanner. It is possible that you forget to charge or replace the batteries after the warning sign leading to a complete shutdown of the device. With SentrySafe, you have two options to get back into your pistol safe; you may use the numeric keypad or keys provided.
- The ability to mount safes especially small ones as this is very important as it prevents burglars from stealing the whole handgun safe. To that effect, Sentry provides you with holes at the bottom of the safe where you can pass bolts or screws to firmly mount it on any surface of your choice. An ideal surface for mounting should be steel surfaces that are a part of your car or home’s structure; as breaking through such structures could be impossible.
BARSKA Biometric Safe
Barska is a well-known name when it comes to the production of security equipment such as safes. They offer a wide range of biometric safes designed to keep your valuables out of the reach of unauthorized persons. Their Barska Biometric Safe AX11224 is designed to conveniently store your pistol and other little valuables. It is lightweight in design and capable of storing a few weapons. It comes with a lot of features which you’ll definitely love.
- The first feature and one which is very important is the ability to gain access to your valuables through multiple entry. These three entries include the biometric scanner, numeric keypad and key. The fingerprint scanner is powered with 4 AA batteries which are included. Since the batteries are used just to power the fingerprint scanner, they are capable of lasting several months. However, it is always advisable to have a spare so as not to be caught unawares. That doesn’t mean you won’t get into the safe anyway, as you can use the hidden numeric keypad or the key provided. Two keys are made available and the lock is hidden behind the logo so you’ll need to get that off first to reveal it.
- The fingerprint scanner is capable of storing 30 different prints and since the programming is very easy, each would be done in the shortest time possible.
- In order to ensure that the safe’s security is top-notched, it is designed with heavy gauge steel which would instantly discourage burglars from making attempt. With time, burglars may be able to force it open but since they don’t have that much time, your pistol and other valuables will remain safe. The only way they’ll have as much time as they want to burgle their way in is by stealing the safe and taking it to their home. In order to avoid such ugly occurrences, Barska provides you with three mounting holes and securing bolts with which you can mount the unit to a solid base in your home or car.
- The interior is elegantly designed and capable of storing more than just your pistols. Its dimensions are 16.25 x 12 x 7 inches thereby giving you enough room to store important documents and other little items which you deem valuable.
- At times you want to move your safe into your car especially when you are going on a long journey. Barska AX11224 is designed to be sturdy, but light in weight making mobility easy for you. As long as you can firmly secure it to the frame of your car, you can be rest assured that all your valuables are safe.
- You often find safes with a host of features as this being too expensive to purchase but that is not the case with this handgun safe. It is durable and affordable. It also comes with a one year warranty which at the end, may not be needed.
Gunvault MicroVault XL MVB1000 gun safe Biometric fingerprintIf you are looking for a pistol safe that can be kept at home, and at the same time be your travel companion, then look no further than the Gunvault Microvault XL MVB1000 safe. Just like the word “micro” in its description implies, it is truly light and portable. It is probably the best small gun safe capable of conveniently housing your pistol, as well as a magazine and other little valuables. Just like the others in this handgun safe review, it is fitted with a fingerprint scanner thereby offering you quick access to its contents whenever and wherever they are needed. Below are some more features you need to learn about the safe,
- On this model, the fingerprint scanner is unique in the sense that you have to slide your finger through it rather than placing your finger as it is with other models. The sliding method may appear strange to you but it should be a faster means of accessing the safe as all you need is a simple and quick swipe.
- Another amazing feature still on the fingerprint technology is its ability to store up to120 unique fingerprints in its memory. This happens to be among the largest memory you’ll find for safes in this category, so if you have a reason to save up to that amount of unique fingerprints, you should go for this unit straightaway.
- For a unit as this capable of storing 120 unique fingerprints, programming the prints have to be as quick and easy as possible. All you need do is push the “learn” button positioned by the side of the unit and you’ll see a green LED light flash. You’ll also hear a beep which signals that it is ready to accept a new fingerprint into its memory. Although as easy as this to save a new fingerprint, it can’t be done without your direct approval. The learn button being exposed will only work automatically for the first two fingerprints which the unit assumes is yours and instantly saves as “administrator”. Using the “learn” button to save an additional fingerprint will require that either of the first two administrator prints be scanned first.
- Due to the fact that this device can be transported easily, you may be scared of a burglar fleeing away with the whole unit. You don’t have to be bothered about that as Gunvault provides you with a steel security cable with which you can effectively secure the unit to a strengthened part of your house. The mounting bolts are however not provided so you’ll have to get those yourself.
- In terms of strength, the XL MVB1000 is designed using 18 gauge steel thereby making it almost impossible to penetrate even if the whole unit is stolen. Normally, the easiest way of breaking it with force would be to target the intersection between the door and body of the unit. That gap is effectively eliminated as the door and hinges are securely fit and made to lap perfectly with the body of the safe. With a design as perfect as this, prying it open will be a huge task to undertake.
- The unit is lightweight and compact in design. Its dimensions are 3.5 x 10.25 x 12 inches and has a weight of 8 Lbs. therefore it can easily fit under the seat in your vehicle. Although hidden in that position, it is advisable that you secure the safe to the legs of the chair using the steel security cable to avoid theft of the whole unit.
- In order to avoid being locked out of the unit due to low battery or technical failure, Gunvault provides you with an alternate entry by means of lock and key. The 9v battery that powers the fingerprint scanner surely lasts longer than AA batteries fitted on other models but it could go down too. You can however retrieve your valuables using the key provided.
The three pistol safe reviews discussed above are from three top manufacturers and happen to be the best pistol safes you’ll find in the market today. Making an ideal choice may depend on your preference in terms of cost and features. While Gunvault Microvault XL MVB1000 and SentrySafe Quick Access are very good but has room for just one pistol and little valuables; the Barska Biometric safe has room for up to two pistol as well as valuables. Another determining feature could be the XL MVB1000’s ability to store up to 120 unique fingerprints in its memory and its 9v battery power source which will definitely last longer.
Anyway, I feel SentrySafe is the best pistol safe in terms of cost and design so if you have no special preference on features, you should simply go for it.