Sentry Safe is among the best manufacturers that produce very solid safes for firearms and documents safety. In 2013, the company released one of the best biometric pistol safes in its category (according to Amazon reviewers). This review is about another of their products – SentrySafe SFW123FTC. This electronic fire safe protects your documents, digital media and other valuables during critical conditions such as fire, theft or even floods.
Sentry Safe SFW123FTC has a large storage capacity of 1.23 cu. ft. and comes with one multi-position tray to increase the interior capacity. The safe is UL classified to offer maximum protection of your valuables against fire for up to one hour. It is also ETL verified to offer water resistance for up to 24 hours.
In addition to this, SentrySafe SFW123FTC offers several security features. The door is reinforced with four large 1-inch bolts and a pry-resistant hinge bar that protects it against forced entry. It is impact resistant and able to provide a fire protection to CDs, DVDs, memory sticks and USB drives. Bolt down hardware is included for your convenience.
Features of the SentrySafe SFW123FTC
- One hour fire resistance – the SentrySafe SFW123FTC is UL classified to protect your documents and other important variables against fire (1700°F) for a maximum of one hour, with the guarantee that your valuables inside will remain below 350°F.
- Impact resistant – to resist breakage in case of a fall (ETL verified to pass a 15-Foo drop test)
- 24 hour water resistance – during fire breakout, you’ll find that your documents may get damaged by water sprays used to put out the fire. SentrySafe SFW123FTC is designed with a 24 hour water resistance that protects your documents against such incidents as well as floods. Note: The product is not water resistant once it is bolted down. The ETL verified water resistance claim applies to product prior to the application of a bolt-down kit. This, however, makes sense as in order to bolt it down you have to drill holes through the safe wall/floor.
- Electronic lock – a handy feature allowing a quick access. And if you keep forgetting their passwords, there’s nothing to worry about as the manufacturer has developed a MySafetySafe Profile feature that gives you automatic access to your safe.
- Four strong bolts – due to customers feedback and demands, the Sentry Safe SFW123FTC was fitted with four large one inch bolts which offer maximum protection and defense against forced entry and theft.
- Adjustable tray – this safe is designed with a multi-position tray which offers extra room to store additional accessories.
- Pry resistant hinge bar – the pry resistant hinge bar aids in keeping the door compact and solid in-case of a pry attack.
- The SentrySafe SFW123FTC is designed with a large 1.23 cu. ft. interior offering good storage capacity.
- The electronic programmable lock is very handy and secure, eliminating the need to use keys. It also allows you to open the safe much faster than with a mechanical combination lock.
- A dual locking mechanism allows you to optionally increase the security by requiring both, keys and a code to open the safe.
- The safe has a backlit keypad and LED interior light, so you can easily access it in dark without disturbing anybody or without being noticed by intruders when reaching for a gun. The light duration can be adjusted to balance between comfort and battery life.
- The system is pry resistant offering maximum security from forceful attacks.
- The safe is well built with a thick steel material which is rigid and strong protecting your documents against fire, water, theft and impact.
- Lifetime After-fire replacement – if product is damaged by fire at any time while still owned by you (the original owner), SentrySafe will ship a replacement free of charge
- The keypad sound (tones) can be disabled to increase the privacy when accessing the safe.
- It is relatively cheap comparing to its competitors.
- The battery pack is exposed and not well secured meaning it might be compromised. On the other hand you are able to change (dead) batteries without having to open the safe.
- It doesn’t have any backup keys that could be used during emergencies (should not be required as batteries are accessible from outside – just always keep some extra).
- Users are only able to add additional key codes but not reset the machine to factory setup.
To round up this review, the Sentry Safe SFW123FTC is the best choice for people looking forward to invest in a reliable fireproof electronic safe. Designed with high quality steel material, this product is capable of withstanding hostile environmental events such as fire, water, impact and theft. The manufacturer also offers “$50,000 Fire Protection Guarantee” and “After Fire Replacement Guarantee”. With a weight of 81 lbs and exterior dimensions of 17.8 x 16.3 x 19.3 inches, the SentrySafe SFW123FTC is a high quality product worth buying.